¾ lb breakfast sausage
1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
½ yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place acorn squash cut-side down onto baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until acorn squash is soft when you press on the skin. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While acorn squash is cooking, place 1 Tbsp. of your choice of fat (butter, olive oil, etc.) to a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, stirring frequently to keep from burning.
- Once the onions become translucent, add breakfast sausage and cook down, breaking up the breakfast sausage as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is almost cooked through, turn heat to low and scoop out the inside of the acorn squash, using care not to tear the skin. This will be the bowl to hold the final breakfast mixture.
- Mix the acorn squash and the breakfast sausage together well. Then gently add it back to the acorn squash skin.
- Once both acorn squash halves are full, press into the middle with a spoon to create a little resting spot for your egg. Crack an egg on top.
- Place back in the oven to cook for 10-15 minutes or until egg is cooked to your preference. Enjoy!
Inspired by: https://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-breakfast-stuffed-acorn-squash/