1 butternut squash, cut in half and seeded
1 lb. ground beef
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 red onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
½ T. cinnamon
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly coat butternut squash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven, cut side up for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add one of the sliced onions, garlic, celery, and carrots.
- Cook until celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cinnamon, cooking until the meat is browned.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat.
- Once the squash is cooked, scrape out some of the flesh from the squash and mix with the beef and vegetables.
- Fill the squash with the beef mixture and bake in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Caramelize the remaining onions in a skillet over medium heat in some cooking fat (this takes about 10 minutes).
- Serve the squash topped with bacon and caramelized onions.
Inspired by Paleoleap.com