3 oz. pancetta, chopped
½ cup sliced shallots
1 bulb fennel, cored, and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
5 pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
½ lb. Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
4-5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, for serving (optional)
1. Fry pancetta in a large soup pot until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Reserve 1 Tbsp of fat.
2. Melt butter with reserved pancetta fat over medium heat. Add shallots and fennel and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add pears and potatoes and cover with broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and carefully blend, either with an immersion blender or in batches in a standing blender. Return soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve soup sprinkled with pancetta and cheese.
Inspired by PCC Markets