Ingredients for the Fajitas
¼ cup avocado oil
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch strips
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, deseeded, and sliced into ¼ inch strips
1 medium yellow bell pepper, cored, deseeded, and sliced into ¼ inch strips
1 small white onion, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
2 limes, cut into wedges
Green or butter lettuce leaves (optional)
Grain-free tortillas (optional)
Ingredients for the Avocado Crema
1 large avocado
¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup chives, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oven to 450° F.
2. Place a stainless-steel wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, lime juice, minced garlic, sea salt, chili powder, and cumin to make the marinade.
4. Add the chicken thigh strips to the marinade. Toss in the sliced peppers and onions and combine well.
5. Place the chicken and veggies onto the wire rack inside the baking sheet and spread evenly.
6. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes; pull out rack, stir the chicken and veggies, rotating the tray, and place back in the oven.
7. Switch to broil and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the peppers and onions are browned in places. Keep your eyes on the fajitas to make sure nothing burns!
8. While the chicken is cooking, make the Avocado Crema. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the seed. Scoop the flesh into a food processor or blender. Add the coconut milk, chives, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Blitz until smooth. Add some water to thin out the sauce if desired. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed with salt, pepper, or more lime juice.
10. Once the chicken and veggies are finished cooking, pull the tray out of the oven. Serve the fajitas with lime wedges, lettuce wraps, or grain-free tortillas, and the Avocado Crema.
Inspired by Nom Nom Paleo